Do not be a victim of the holiday thieves!
These are usually crimes of opportunity and remember most deliveries do not require a signature. In recent years, we have seen cases where thieves follow the delivery driver and go get the package as soon as it is dropped off. Several cases have already been reported this month. Please keep your eyes open.
Here are some helpful tips in securing your deliveries:
• Ask for a tracking number
• Set up delivery alerts and schedule delivery when you are home, if possible
• Request “signature required” – that way a package will not be left at the front door
• Pick up your packages from the delivery company – FedEx, UPS, and USPS have local offices
• If in an apartment or condo, have the delivery service leave the package at the office
• Arrange for a neighbor to pick up your package at the time of delivery
• Have your packages delivered to a friend, neighbor, or relative who is home during the day
• Although not the best option, leave a note for the delivery person to place the package around back or at a side door
• Keep in mind, anyone who comes to the door can see this but your package will not be visible to people driving by
• Contact the sender immediately if the package does not arrive as scheduled
Call 911 immediately if you see someone taking packages!!
Captain M. K. Bond
Executive Officer to the Chief of Police Durham Police Department
505 W. Chapel Hill Street
Durham, NC 27701
O: 919-560-4322 (*29202)